Low Level (Cold) Laser Therapy for Horses
Low Level Laser Therapy, also known as cold laser therapy, is a non invasive treatment that helps to reduce pain and inflammation. It has been used for many years in the treatment of sports injuries for athletes and it is now being used to help horses that are suffering from injuries, pain or inflammation.
Unlike some laser treatments, low level laser therapy does not heat the cells in the body (thermal reaction), which can be destructive, instead, the laser operates with a photochemical reaction, similar to photosynthesis. Using both laser and LED technology, wavelengths in the light stimulate the cells in the damaged area encouraging regeneration and natural healing. This process reduces inflammation and also provides pain relief.
The treatment is carried out in the animal's home environment, reducing the stress of travelling and enabling the horse to be more relaxed. The procedure is quick, simple and painless and the horse is usually unaware that any treatment is even being performed. The Equine Therapist will simply hold the head of the unit close to the area for treatment for a few minutes, and the light from the laser will penetrate the affected area. Once the laser therapy procedure is finished, the horse can return to it's normal routine.
The number and frequency of treatments will depend on the individual problem, but this will be discussed in advance of any treatment.
- Reduces inflammation and pain
- Promotes quicker tissue repair ideal for open wounds
- Encourages quicker healing of soft tissue injuries
- Helps heal ligament and tendon injuries, sprains and strains
- Improves arthritic conditions by reducing inflammation and easing pain
- It can assist the lymphatic system
- It can be used similar to accupuncture on all accupressure points or muscle insertion areas